3/4 Hardwood To Carpet Transition

Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

3/4 Hardwood To Carpet Transition

I'm using the "tack and tuck" method. I've done hardwood a few times before but have never worked with carpet. I'm not sure if it's because of the older carpet/pad or because I'm doing something wrong. I have my header board in place, left 1/4 inch overlap on carpet beyond the header board. Tack strip is 1/4 inch away from header board, then padding 1/4 inch away from that. I'm trying to tuck but when I go to pulling and tacking the carpet down, it won't stay once I try to tuck the carpet. Do I have to somehow hammer the tack strip nails down to hold the carpet in position? It's not as graceful or as graceful looking as the pics I've seen on hardwoodinstaller.com page. If all else fails, I've made a failsafe to put traditional transition molding there. Any advice, please?

Also, this is for a family member who said he's replacing the carpet soon so it's not something I'd try with a paying customer.

Last edited by discombobulated; 03-16-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Groutface

Trade: flooring installer
Rewards Points: 500

Re: 3/4 Hardwood To Carpet Transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by discombobulated
I'm using the "tack and tuck" method. I've done hardwood a few times before but have never worked with carpet. I'm not sure if it's because of the older carpet/pad or because I'm doing something wrong. I have my header board in place, left 1/4 inch overlap on carpet beyond the header board. Tack strip is 1/4 inch away from header board, then padding 1/4 inch away from that. I'm trying to tuck but when I go to pulling and tacking the carpet down, it won't stay once I try to tuck the carpet. Do I have to somehow hammer the tack strip nails down to hold the carpet in position? It's not as graceful or as graceful looking as the pics I've seen on hardwoodinstaller.com page. If all else fails, I've made a failsafe to put traditional transition molding there. Any advice, please?
Do u have access to some form of stretcher ,knee kicker? U have to have some form of linear pressure"negative resistance in order for the tack strip to do its job......first have your carpet overlapping ur wood....second get a kicker and kickthe carpet with the head of the kicker ending on the tackstrip....third do a flush cut along the hardwood with brand new blade.....then resnug and tuck the carpet four inches wide at a time about the width of yer kicker head should work fer ya ! Thumbsup

Old 03-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #3

Ok, now I feel stupid but I checked out another link. Apparently they're tucking the carpet into the groove of the flooring strip, right? The previous pic I've seen made it look so flush with the top of the carpet that I thought they were just folding 1/8 or so of carpet down and against a ripped strip. Days like this make me really think why I don't do simple factory assembly work.

And no, I don't have a carpet stretcher and he's not concerned with renting one since he's replacing it soon anyway.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
Groutface

Quote:
Originally Posted by discombobulated
Ok, now I feel stupid but I checked out another link. Apparently they're tucking the carpet into the groove of the flooring strip, right? The previous pic I've seen made it look so flush with the top of the carpet that I thought they were just folding 1/8 or so of carpet down and against a ripped strip. Days like this make me really think why I don't do simple factory assembly work.

And no, I don't have a carpet stretcher and he's not concerned with renting one since he's replacing it soon anyway.
Good to go then! Thumbsup!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #5

Ok, so the strips I have in now have no grooves. It's either tear them out or route some in while they're in place . I have no router, suggestions? I'm only a lowly laborer so I haven't developed much of an arsenal of tools yet.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #6

Trade: Flooring , Flooring Inspections
Rewards Points: 25

cut them out with a dremel .
Old 03-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
Solvent breather

Trade: Painting and Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,474

skill saw?

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 03-17-2011, 12:44 AM   #8

I'll give the Dremel a shot though I expect to just tear it out and start a new header board. Dremel and straight lines don't mix, at least not with me. Thanks guys.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 2,486

Ugh. Why does so much misinformation get thrown around like truth here sometimes. Seriously - if you don't know, don't answer, its that simple. These threads are usually helping someone complete a job for a paying customer.

No groove is necessary. A stretch on the carpet to engage the pins on the tackstrip is however. This can be accomplished with a power stretcher or a knee kicker. The tackstrip should be installed with the pins angled toward the carpet side of the doorway so they hook the backing when stretched. Leave the strip 1/4" away from the wood and tuck the carpet edge into the gully.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
The Following User Says Thank You to PrecisionFloors For This Useful Post:
opiethetileman (03-18-2011)
Old 03-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 3,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionFloors View Post
Ugh. Why does so much misinformation get thrown around like truth here sometimes. Seriously - if you don't know, don't answer, its that simple. These threads are usually helping someone complete a job for a paying customer.

No groove is necessary. A stretch on the carpet to engage the pins on the tackstrip is however. This can be accomplished with a power stretcher or a knee kicker. The tackstrip should be installed with the pins angled toward the carpet side of the doorway so they hook the backing when stretched. Leave the strip 1/4" away from the wood and tuck the carpet edge into the gully.

Why don't you run up here & teach me how to do it? Everytime I have to find someone to do it for me, I swear, I'm gonna learn. Been sayin that for a couple years now.

Oh, did I mention, I hate carpet & have very little desire to learn much about carpet.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #11

Ya don't leave the tongue on facing the cpt .
Old 03-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
Groutface

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionFloors

Nice!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Flooring Installer

Trade: flooring
Rewards Points: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionFloors View Post

Actually, the pins should point away from the carpet side of the doorway, so the carpet will hook on it and not pull off when you relax the stretch.

Armstrong certified
Old 03-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 2,486

You're correct Rusty. I was so wound up over the misinformation I missed that....I type faster than I can think sometimes lol.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
Groutface

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker
Actually, the pins should point away from the carpet side of the doorway, so the carpet will hook on it and not pull off when you relax the stretch.
I missed that also... and getting wound up means u care about what u do....thumbsup
Old 03-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Groutface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groutface

I missed that also... and getting wound up means u care about what u do....thumbsup
Go up to my earlier post and follow too a tee....or what precision saidf
Old 03-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,911

Here's one way...

1) Undo the cut that you've done in the carpet.

2) leave about 2 inches straight into the doorway/transition.

3) Roll the flap underneath..making a nice crease tight to the wood.

4) separate the pile, and shoot 1/4" crown staples tightly..as needed

5) fluff and run

Or buy a crimp down extrusion..

I don't like tack strips across traffic areas...

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell

Last edited by TimelessQuality; 03-17-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
Flooring Installer

Trade: flooring
Rewards Points: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessQuality View Post
Here's one way...

1) Undo the cut that you've done in the carpet.

2) leave about 2 inches straight into the doorway/transition.

3) Roll the flap underneath..making a nice crease tight to the wood.

4) separate the pile, and shoot 1/4" crown staples tightly..as needed

5) fluff and run

Or buy a crimp down extrusion..

I don't like tack strips across traffic areas...
You are right. According to CRI, you are to never put tack strip across a doorway, but it's done all the time. You should use a transition strip, but they are ugly.

Armstrong certified
Old 03-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #19

I took his first post to mean he wanted to remove the tongue .
Old 03-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #20

PrecisionFloors, thanks, you're right. I think I got it down pat after finishing the doorways. It also saves the customer on transition pieces while not having a tacky raised piece in the doorway. As a first timer, it's a bit scary making sure not to cut too much off.

Also, this friend of a friend before doing the transition pieces, he accidentally covered a vent hole. I, I mean, he has a stud finder and had no luck finding the hole since the flooring's so thick. Is there a good way you guys use to locate those? It's by the patio door which is coming out soon and would be no problem to take a piece out close to it when it's out to find it but would rather do it sooner to get that out of the way. Thanks.