3/4" 6" Wide Solid Oak Floor Install Help

Old 12-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 14

3/4" 6" Wide Solid Oak Floor Install Help

I am installing 3/4" unfinished natural 6" wide oak flooring in a new home I am building. I had planned to install like I have narrower oak flooring in the past with an underlayment and then L cleat nails, but I read in a recent Fine Homebuilding Magazine that they suggested a 4" wide strip of flooring glue every 18 inches or so for wide plank flooring that exceeded 5". What are thoughts on this? This would eliminate the use of underlayment.

I am in CO at 7500' elevations. House has 23/32 OSB floor sheathing on I joists 16 OC. little humidity to deal with here. House has radiant floor heat and an HRV system.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 1,060

Re: 3/4" 6" Wide Solid Oak Floor Install Help

The wider the plank, the more critical to keep balanced climate control. Swings in humidity will cause more chances for cupping. If wood wants to move due to moisture swings, no amount of glue is going to stop it from moving. Moisture barrier between sub floor & solid wood is crucial in wide plank because the softwood in subfloor, takes on & looses moisture at a different rate than hardwood floor.

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
The wider the plank, the more critical to keep balanced climate control. Swings in humidity will cause more chances for cupping. If wood wants to move due to moisture swings, no amount of glue is going to stop it from moving. Moisture barrier between sub floor & solid wood is crucial in wide plank because the softwood in subfloor, takes on & looses moisture at a different rate than hardwood floor.
But how do you account for a vb in a glue down situation? If it's over a crawl, would you vb somewhere between the bottom of the joists and the subfloor?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB

Old 12-25-2017, 11:52 PM   #4

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 14

This is the article I am referring to. You have to have an account to see the entire thing, but you can see the basic concept here.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2017...#comment-13919
Old 12-26-2017, 02:02 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 5,402

I wouldn't do 6" wide and OSB is not at all ideal either. Staples are proven to be stronger than cleats.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
But how do you account for a vb in a glue down situation? If it's over a crawl, would you vb somewhere between the bottom of the joists and the subfloor?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Many flooring glues are elastomeric &provide their own moisture barrier. We only use glue over concrete or with some engineered products.

Not all applications are suitable for wide plank hardwood. If I'm laying over unconditioned crawlspace, I try to steer my clients away from wide plank, but if they insist, I advise them of the added potential their floors cupping with swings in moisture.

Last edited by pinwheel; 12-26-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
I wouldn't do 6" wide and OSB is not at all ideal either. Staples are proven to be stronger than cleats.
Lot of myth in this post. Every manufacturer of flooring I've laid, list osb as an acceptable subfloor. Most of the builders in this area use advantech. My experience of removing old hardwood floors, both staples & nails hold pretty much equal. Both leave a certain amount of nails in the subfloor. again, the manufacturers list both as acceptable fasteners per warranty.

Advertisement