Pros & Cons: Dump Trailers vs. Dumpster Rentals

Log
  • Blogs2
  • Forums0
  • Projects0
  • Reviews0
  • Toolbox0
*Please note, I work for the corporate office of Bin There Dump That, but I will examine contractors needs objectively.

Here's the deal...

• There's only enough construction debris to fill up the back of your pick up bed
  • You use dump trailers
  • You hire a junk removal company
  • you rent dumpsters
For the purpose of this article, we'll assume there is a good amount of construction debris to eliminate the first option; typically, contractors don't use option three.

Let's examine the pros and cons of dump trailers vs. renting a dumpster

Dump Trailers

Pros:
  • You own it: This means you don't have to depend on a dumpster rental company that a) may not pick up the phone when you need a dumpster or b) have the inventory available to service you a dumpster. The dump trailer is yours, you know its whereabouts at all times and where you go, it will go.
  • No more recurring dumpster rental fees: Yes a dump trailer is a significant investment but once it's paid for, it frees up your cash flow that dumpster rentals would still continually dent.

Cons:
  • Needed maintenance: Because you own it, you own it's maintenance as well. It's remarkably frustrating to run your dump trailer to the landfill to empty its contents, only to get a flat tire on the way out; it's also required on another job site immediately
  • Someone has to empty it: This usually means your crew needs to run the dump trailer to the landfill and empty the trailer, costing you potentially more production time than you'd like. There's a chance your crew may take a lot longer than you'd envisioned it would take

Dumpster Rentals

Pros:
  • Save valuable time: As noted above, it costs valuable production time if your crew is constantly running back and forth to the landfill to empty the dump trailer. Rent a dumpster and your crew will remain onsite, all the time
  • Strategic placement: If your dumpster rental provider has equipment nimble enough to maneuver in tight quarters, they may be able to position the dumpster neatly to an extremely beneficial spot. For roofers, this means directly under the roof so the roofing debris can be swept off the roof and into the dumpster
Cons:
  • Potentially unreliable: When you need a dumpster, you need a dumpster! It would be extremely frustrating to not be able to reach your dumpster rental provider or for them to not have the inventory to service you.
  • Property protection: Not all dumpster rental companies are created equal. Many don't equip their trucks with a driveway protection system, meaning that your client's property is potentially vulnerable to skids, scrapes and scratches.
Now it's your turn. Did I forget a pro or con for dump trailers? What about dumpster rentals? How do you get rid of your waste at jobsites? I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Comments (6)

or to comment
Displaying 1–6 of 6
  • No-avatar-62
    christoff25 days ago

I just rented a dumpster and I wanted to know the cost so I could finish a quote but they said they needed 2 weeks for the statement to come in from the transfer station

• No-avatar-62
    Big Johnson25 days ago

There's only enough construction debris to fill up the back of your pick up bed
    You use dump trailers
    You hire a junk removal company
    you rent dumpsters"

You forgot; "Burn pile"

• Thumb_0738bbf0
    RMDailey20 days ago

For me it depends on the size of the job. I'm luck enough to have a dump about 10 minutes from my house. I typically bag all I can and throw it on my trailer when I get home. I live in a rural area without trash pick up so I'm going to the dump once a week anyway.

For big remodels a dumpster saves so much time and effort that it's completely worth the cost to me (which I pass through to the customer). Waiting is a pain, but a good company takes care of their customers. I've only had to wait a few days passed when I said I needed it. Most of the time I can order it far enough in advance

• Thumb_2426d7b8Author
    BTDTBinRentals19 days ago

Posted by: christoff

That company must charge on a bin/dumpster + weight basis. Most of our franchises across the US charge an all-in fee that includes 2-3 tons of material (depending on the size you select)

• Thumb_2426d7b8Author
    BTDTBinRentals19 days ago

Posted by: RMDailey

Well said. It truly is dependent on the job but as you mentioned, for large jobs, time can be saved by renting a dumpster. If your provider is a well run company, you should be able to receive that dumpster same day delivery or at worse 25 hours.

• Thumb_2426d7b8Author
    BTDTBinRentals19 days ago

"As contractors, you all have a need to get rid of waste at your job sites. Your options are limited. They consist of:There's only enough construction debris to fill up the back of your pick up bedYou use dump trailersYou hire a junk removal companyyou rent dumpsters"
    You forgot; "Burn pile"

haha, totally forgot that one

Displaying 1–6 of 6
or to comment

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
ContractorTalk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At ContractorTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds